Thursday, June 24, 2010

Book Worm

There's nothing quite like a good book. I don't know about you but I tend to read more in the summertime. Usually my reading takes place while I'm lying on a recliner in my swimming suit trying to get a tan. Sometimes I get a little distracted when it's 101 degrees and there is sweat streaming down my face into my eyeballs. Reading gets my mind going, especially if it's a good book. I've read a couple of good books lately and thought I'd recommend them to you. The first book is called 'One Thousand White Women' and was written by Jim Fergus. The book cover is pictured below. This is a historical fiction book and is based in the 1850s when the Indians and U.S. Army where trying to make peace treaties. The Cheyenne people realized that they no longer lived in a world familiar to them and in an effort to incorporate the two cultures they wanted 1000 white women as brides for their young warriors as part of the peace agreement. This was a real request by a Northern Cheyene Chief that was promptly revoked by the U.S. Army. This book explores what would have happened if the U.S. Army would have agreed to the deal and how that would have potentially changed history.

The next book is called 'The Color of Lightning' and was written by Paulette Jiles. This is another historical fiction book that is based at the end of the Civil War when settlers and freed slaves were moving to Texas. The story is about a freed black man's quest to reclaim his wife and children that the Indians captured. Many Indians raids were common in that era because the settlers moved onto the Indian's hunting ground. Both of these books were really good. If you haven't read any historical fiction books I would recommend it. I just borrowed 'Enemy Woman' by Paulette Jiles from the library as my next read.

If anyone has other book recommendations let me know! Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment